Thursday, September 11, 2008

Been Awhile

It has been awhile since I've updated this blog. I got caught up in life for a bit. It all started when my wisdom teeth started to bother me. No, I didn't get my wisdom teeth out as a teenager, like you are suppose to. If I could go do it all over now, I would have done it then, rather than now! I decided to bite the bullet and have them all removed, even though only one was bothering me. The day of the surgery I got an IV to put me under, woke up, & it was done. My chin & tongue were completely swelled up. Plus, I couldn't feel either of them, which seemed to pose quite a problem once I got home to eat & take pills. I had to stand in front of a mirror to eat. Plus, I put on a bib to catch the stuff dribbling down my face. It was quite a site. I told my mom to take a picture, but it never happened. Even though I looked ridiculous, I felt no pain. The magic of drugs!!

I thought, oh this isn't so bad. That lasted until about a week after the surgery, then I was in the worse pain of my life! I couldn't sleep at night, & by this time I had to go back to work. I went back to the doctor because I was convinced I had dry sockets on my lowers, but they weren't. You see, since I waited until I was almost 30 to have these taken out, my roots on my lower wisdom teeth had grown much deeper than they want them to. Getting them out was not easy. Bone was removed along with the teeth. So, my pain was strictly from the traumatic surgery, so no easy fix. I did get the lower teeth packed, & that helped tremendously!! I had those over last weekend. I had no pain with the packs in, & I thought it was over. Monday morning I had the packs removed & slowly throughout the day I felt the pain returning.

By Tuesday morning my sockets had closed up almost completely, so I didn't want to put packs back in because it would open the sockets back up, & this would stop the healing process. The pain was not as intense as before. It was just enough to be annoying. So, I've been taking Ibuprofen twice a day. Almost like clock work I begin to feel them about every 6.5 hours. The worst part is the one tooth that originally was bothering me not longer hurts at all, & it was easy to remove. All the rest were a problem to get out, & I'm now paying for waiting. I HIGHLY recommend not waiting to get your wisdom teeth removed. Do it while you are young, so your roots have not grown into your jaw!! It has been 6.5 hours, or so my jaw is telling me. So, I am off to take some meds & get some sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am soooooo sorry your recovery has been so traumatic!! I had no idea that you were still dealing with so much pain and so many different problems.

Thankfully you did this before the holidays and you'll be all healed up and feeling like yourself by the time those get started. (((hugs))) and much love - hope you are feeling lots better soon, Rhonda